”Im coming to Paris!!! Where should I stay?”
I get this question often! To which I’m more than happy to reply to so I figured I would write a post to where I would stay if I were to come to Paris as a ‘touriste’.
Think of Paris cut into 20 sections (called arrondissements…. or if you’re looking at postal codes within Paris they start from 75001 to 75020) and are laid out like a snails shell.
Paris is huge! However, to be honest, I find getting from one end to the other fairly easy using the metro and I’ve walked from l’Arc de Triomphe to Notre Dame a few times which covers 5.3Kms and a bit further to La Nation covers just over 8 kms. Or better yet, rent a bike through Velib! It really is a great way to see Paris.
Which ever Arrondissement you choose to stay in, everything is quite ‘walkable’, however, some areas are better than others.
How to book
Air BnB is a great place to look for places, www.edreams.com, TripAdvisor to name a few read. Whatever tool you’re using to book, always read the reviews of any place you’re going to rent and communicate with the owner if you can.
I’ll list a few places that I’ve stayed in personally or have had friends stay in at the end of this post.
My top 4 ‘areas’
Nothing against the others, these are just personally my favourites since they’re so close to everything and are lovely to walk through.
- Spreads across the 3rd and 4th arrondissement
- Often referred as the ‘Old Paris’
- Home of a great steak place – Robert and Louise
- Includes my favourite area – The Jewish Quarter and Rue Des Rosiers, Korcarz and a all around a great vibe
- Close to Place des Vosges, Musée Pompidou, Notre Dame Cathedral and perfectly close for taking walks along La Seine!
- Air BnB perfectly describes this area – Air BnB – Le Marais
The Latin Quarter
- Is in the 5th arrondissement
- A close walk to Saint-Étienne-du-Mont – the church steps made famous by the movie Midnight in Paris
- Perfect for walking those narrow streets and enjoying the small Parisian shops its so well known for
- Home to the Paradis Latin Burlesque show
- Air BnB – Le Quartier Latin – The Latin Quarter
Saint Germain des Prés
- Squeezed between the 7th and 5th arrondissement, in the 6th
- Cant say enough good things about this area!
- Close to the Luxembourg Gardens
- Le Bon Marché & La Grande Épicerie
- & Marché Raspail
- Great restaurants with history – Les Deux Magots, Café de Flore.
- Air BnB – Saint Germain des Prés
Opéra & Grand Boulevard Area
- Sharing the 2nd and the 9th arrondissement
- Walking distance to the Opéra
- Close to the big shopping areas – Le Printemps, Galeries Lafayette
- JGO – Tapas Bar you need to check out if ever you’re in Paris
Right by Metro Druot – interactive sneek peek below.
Hotels you can check out around these arrondissements :
- Residence Saint Sulpice
- Legend Hotel Paris
- Hotel Palm Opera
- l’Hotel Montpensier
- check out Nathalies post on my blog… shes stayed at some of these hotels and has reviews on all!
- Hotel Marigny
- Tim Hotel Tour Eiffel
- Hotel L’Autrec- Famous La Belle Epoque artist whos house has been turned into a lovely hotelSkip to 1:13:46 in video to get an idea
So there you have it, just a few of my favourite places.
Whats your favourite area of Paris? Hotels you’ve stayed in? Want to write a small review?
Let me know and i’ll add it to my list!
Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
I’d love to read about your stays here!